Monday 1 August 2016

Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Without Borders

Before we get started, fellow blogger Hillary from My Cat Loves Daiya needs some help to get her kitties home. If you have even a few dollars to spare, or if you could share her GoFundMe page, that would be amazing. She is so close to reaching her goal. You can learn more about her wonderful felines and read her story over on her blog! And contribute to or share her fundraising page here. Thank you!

Now, on to business! Everyone knows I am a big fan of Robin Robertson (and her kitties), and I am a big fan of her cookbook Vegan Without Borders. It is a very beautiful book! With lots of very lovely food inside. I have blogged previous things I've made from this book here.

White Bean Goulash (Eastern Europe): This recipe calls for a 16 oz tin of sauerkraut, drained, which I feel would be a bit too much. I only had it in a 32 oz jar, and using half of that would have been so much sauerkraut... and I love sauerkraut. Probably just use one cup, unless you are a sauerkraut fiend.
Rating: :)

White Bean Goulash


Migas Burritos (Mexico): These were good, though I thought needed a bit more flavour in the tofu mix. This recipe says it serves 4, and while you do get 4 burritos, I ate two. I skipped the jalapeno in this recipe, and added extra fresh coriander.
Rating: :)

Migas Burritos


Black Bean Caldillo (Mexico): This is a tasty potato and tomato based stew. My potatoes ended up a little on the al dente side, so I would cook for a bit longer next time. Fire-roasted tinned tomatoes are super expensive here, so I used my faux method of regular tomatoes and a little sprinkle of liquid smoke. This says serves 4-6, I say serves 3-4.
Rating: :)

Black Bean Caladillo


Panang Vegetable Curry (Thailand): This was a hit for the household. Rather than using a food processor to make the sauce in stages, I just put it all into my blender and whizzed it up to smooth perfection, using a sprinkle of chili powder rather than dried chiles. This uses jackfruit as the base, and also has mushrooms and peas, and I used a carrot instead of capsicum. Highly yum.
Rating: :D

Panang Vegetable Curry


Eggplant Kabayaki (Japan): This was very yummy. I used only half the amount of eggplants (1 pound, which was about 5 small eggplants... the recipe calls for 3 small Japanese eggplants or 2 pounds... that seems a little off) but the full amount of sauce, which ended up being even a little bit too saucy! A half recipe of sauce would have been fine. It was super tasty, though. Served here with some sushi rice, Japanese marinade tofu (from the shops) and sesame spinach (from Robin's other book 1000 Vegan Recipes).
Rating: :)

Eggplant Kabayaki


Sesame-Spinach Donburi (Japan): I got to use our donburi bowls for this! This has a coconut based sauce, and I used a blend of half light coconut milk and half water for it. It calls for 10 ounces of chopped spinach, I used 320g of baby spinach, and I used dried shiitakes instead of fresh because I couldn't find anything else that day at the shop.
Rating: :)

Sesame-Spinach Donburi


Yakisoba (Japan): I love this noodle dish. I shredded my cabbage in the food processor, which I think ended up a bit too fine for this dish, think next time I would slice it thinly. It also has carrots and tofu in it (I used the baked tamari togy from 1000 Vegan Recipes). A very satisfying dinner.
Rating: :)

Yakisoba


Sizzling Saigon Crepes (Vietnam): So... my crepes didn't work. The batter ended up really thick, and then just kind of crumbled when I was cooking it and tried to fold it over. So these were kind of deconstructed. They were filled with mushrooms, tofu, bean sprouts and herbs. I left out the chiles.
Rating: :|.... need to work out the batter situation.

Sizzling Saigon Crepes


Vietnamese Noodle Salad (Vietnam): I made this during summer, and it is perfect for hot nights. I used tofu instead of seitan, which was super yum, and 190g of thin rice stick noodles. It made three big serves with left over salad, and was very refreshing.
Rating: :)

Vietnamese Noodle Salad


Singapore Mei Fun (Southeast Asia Islands): I do enjoy Singapore Noodles. I left the capsicum out of these, and used small rice stick noodles, and kept the curry powder mild and low. It is full of onion, carrots, snow peas and tofu.
Rating: :)

Singapore Mei Fun


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara on a blanket


We had a few unseasonably warm winter nights the other week, and I took the blanket off my bed. I didn't put it away though, because nights were due to get cold again (and they did, it is now back on my bed). Of course, Sahara couldn't let this opportunity to sit on a giant balled up blanket pass her by!

8 comments:

  1. We're having British summer an dI did actually manage to go to bed for 4 nights last week without putting my electric blanket on! I am the world's coldest person though. Loved the round up. I like the look of everything in it especially the eggplant dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tend to run cold, though I haven't needed my electric blanket on since moving back to Brisbane... Sahara sleeps on my bed between my knees, and she generates a lot of heat, so I kind of have a soft and snuggly portable heater. ;)

      Delete
  2. I really love your round up series. I have so many of the books that you have but don't use them enough, mainly because they often don't have pictures. Your series helps with the pictures and comments and I have gone on to try several of the recipes. Thank you for the inspiration xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you nice words, I am glad you find them helpful! :)

      Delete
  3. I find that japanese style eggplant vary greatly in size. They are super small at my CSA but decently sized at the super market. But all this food looks so yummy. I might want to pick up this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this book.
      I definitely appreciate it when cookbooks give weights for vegetables, because there is so much size variation around.

      Delete
  4. "So... my crepes didn't work."
    Haha story of my life. I suck at making crepes (and pancakes and anything like that).
    All of the dishes look really good! You plated the Vietnamese Noodle Salad especially pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with pancakes, but I haven't made many crepes. I did buy a special crepe maker awhile ago, but I haven't used it once. Must do that.

      Delete