Monday 5 December 2016

Gilmore Girls, Gilmore Eats

The first post-MoFo post! I needed a couple of days break from blogging, also because I organised another bake sale on the weekend and was doing a lot of prep for that. More on that in a future post. For now, time to get back to a regular blogging schedule.

I love love love Gilmore Girls. I own all the DVDs, and have seen it several times. So when they announced a Gilmore Girls revival on Netflix, a special 'year in the life' series of four 90 minute episodes, I was so excited! The entire thing was released on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Due to work, I couldn't watch it until two days later, which meant avoiding the internet to avoid spoilers. There won't be any spoilers here. Overall, I enjoyed it. I delighted in parts, some parts were weird, some parts were infuriating. But it was nice to be back in Stars Hollow.

Of course, one of the most important parts of Gilmore Girls is the food. They eat so much of it, and of such a wide variety. I couldn't settle down to six hours of Gilmore Girls without planning some themed food. Really, so many things could be part of a Gilmore Girls-themed food spread, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the different things everyone was eating in celebration. For me, when I think of Gilmore Girls I really think of American-style diner food, I guess because much of it is set at a diner, and packaged convenience foods. Though you could have picked almost any food theme and it could have applied!

So I didn't start my day in a very Gilmore Girls' fashion. Instead of rolling out of bed for a poptart and a coffee (which I don't even drink), I went to a 90 minute bikram yoga class and then had a green smoothie. I am me, not them, after all. And it was important to get myself off to a good start to my day before the watching and eating began. Incidentally, this is how I start pretty much every Sunday.

But onto the actual food! I had so many thoughts and plans, but ultimately had to streamline things down to make a doable lunch given that I couldn't do any prep in the days leading up to it due to work. Anyway, this is what we had!

Mac and cheese was a must, because mac and cheese is always a must. I used the Daiya Cheddar Mac and Cheese. I thought it was OK, I liked that the sauce is much thicker than other boxed mac and cheeses. Of course, it doesn't life up to a homemade cashew mac and cheese sauce, and at $14 a packet here in Australia I won't be buying it much, but definitely the best boxed mac and cheese I've had.

Daiya Cheddar Mac and Cheese


A BBQ Cheeseburger Pizza. Initially I was going to have burgers and pizza, but that was getting a bit too much. And then I was going to try and find the Gardein Beefy Sliders, but the one place I went to didn't have them and I didn't feel like traipsing all over Brisbane to see if I could find them. So I ended up merging the two. A purchased pizza base with smoky BBQ sauce, a chopped Gardein beefless patty (I don't like Gardein chicken-style things, but I enjoyed the beefy patty), pickles, pineapple (because I am me), and Daiya mozzarella. It was good!

BBQ Cheeseburger Pizza


Potato Gems aka Tater Tots. This choice was almost immediately justified as they mention making tater tots in the first five minutes. And really, is it ever a choice when it comes to potato gems? It is kind of a given.

Potato Gems


I needed something fresh on the plate, so I cut up some celery and carrots. This is not very Gilmore Girls. However, I attempted to salvage it by serving with some bottled Daiya Ranch Dressing. I love the Daiya Blue Cheese dressing, the Ranch I was not such a fan of. But then I prefer blue cheese dressing to ranch dressing in general.

Veggies! And ranch.


All together now!

Plate of delicious


For after lunch dessert/afternoon tea, I made some Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes from the new Isa Super Fun Times Cookbook. I will do a bigger write up on those when I do a recipe round up for the book, but they were good. And served with some more fresh berries, maple syrup, and So Delicious Cashew Snickerdoodle Ice Cream. Oh yes.

Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes, Snickerdoodle Ice Cream, blueberries


If you are looking for a more in-depth breakdown of what happened in Gilmore Girls (after watching it yourself of course, because it is full of spoilers), I highly recommend checking out Laughfrodesiac, for Randi's hilarious take on everything. She has done Winter and Spring so far, with the other two seasons to come!

Did you watch Gilmore Girls?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

2014-04-04 16.18.44


This is an older photo, but still a favourite of mine. I introduced you to all the cats of my life over the days of MoFo. Of course Dim Sim and Sahara are still the current cats in my life... which they must be forever (we've struck a deal).

15 comments:

  1. I love all the foods you picked! I baked poptarts for the occasion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong food choices here Susan! Your lunch plate (minus the celery!) looks perfect, I love that Daiya mac and I always wish that I could get gems / tots over here. I can't wait to see your full write up of Isa's holiday cookbook, if those pancakes are anything to go by it's going to be a god 'un.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just stuns me that you can't get potato gems over there. What kind of world are we living in?
      Isa's book is pretty great, I've already made a few things, and lots more marked to make.

      Delete
  3. I need to watch the Gilmore Girls revival soon, I love them so much! I'm also not the biggest fan of the daiya mac and cheese, and it is kind of pricey. I haven't tried the daiya ranch or blue cheese yet, I haven't seen them anywhere. All your food looks amazing!! I have a similar deal with my kitties too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good deal to strike!
      Daiya is definitely on the pricey side, especially once you ship it to Australia. I don't think I'll be in a rush to get the cheddar mac again. I did really like the alfredo one, but again not enough for the price.

      Delete
  4. Looks like lots of fun food! :D I used to watch the Gilmore Girls with my mom when it was on TV, but I haven't seen the revival yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't seen it for a while, you should definitely rewatch the DVDs before the revival. I have seen it many times, and still rewatched the DVDs this year to prepare.

      Delete
  5. Nooo I can't believe I forgot about Gilmore Girls! Gotta go watch it a.s.a.p!!
    I never tried pickles AND pineapple on a pizza 😲 now I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put anything on a pizza. ;)
      And yes, get you to a Netflix and watch it!

      Delete
  6. Excellent food choices! I also enjoyed it overall. The weird bits were... weird. The musical and the psychedelic night with Logan and his annoying friends were the only two bits I didn't enjoy at all. It was nice to see the town and all the old characters again. I thought Emily stole the show!

    Lookit Dim Sim and her little wrap-around tail! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The musical was fun for a bit but went on way too long when they could have been focusing on actual characters. Grrrr.
      And the psychadelic scene... what even was that? Also could have been focusing on characters.

      Delete
  7. I've never watched Gilmore Girls, but lately I'm having serious FOMO about that. I probably should watch it, but I fear it'll be a huge commitment. I am a huge fan of that plate though — BBQ pizza, mac & cheese, and tater tots! Those are all my favorite foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is seven seasons of 22 episodes, and then the revival, but I think it is worth it. Think of all the food you can eat while you watch it. ;)

      Delete
  8. $14 a package?! Ack! So expensive!

    I do have to say I love Gilmore Girls but I think they 90% of what I don't like aka breakfast foods XD Everytime my husband and I watch he is always like "See... THEY love pancakes, you should too!"

    ReplyDelete