Tuesday 24 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #24: Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar



24th: Party! – Canapés, finger foods, something to share.

I don't go to a lot of parties, I am not one for large groups. But I do like to bake things to share. And I like to bake things for bake sales. And really, what is a bake sale if not a large sharing party that people pay for? While I am taking a break from organising bake sales, I have still been doing a bit of baking here and there from other bake sales. Fun bars and slices are always well received! Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar is a great place to start if you are looking for something fun to make and to share. As well as a zillion cookie recipes, they also have some awesome slices. Here are four I have made recently.

Blueberry Spice Crumb Bars: These are a lovely not too sweet snack, with spelt flour in the base and crumble. I used frozen blueberries for the filling, and added an extra teaspoon of cornstarch to make sure it thickened up enough. I just made a half batch of these bars, which fit perfectly into my 8 inch/20 cm square pan.
Rating: :)

Blueberry Spice Crumb Bars


Call Me Blondies: I needed to bake these for an extra 15 minutes, and they ended up perfect. They rise high in the oven, but then flatted down when they cool. What this leaves is amazing crunchy edges and a wonderfully gooey inside.
Rating: :)

Call Me Blondies


Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Brownies: These are a combination of the Deluxe Cocoa Brownies for the base and then a yummy cream cheese topping, which is all baked together. I had to cook this an extra 10 minutes for it to set. These are wondefully fudgy and gooey, and have a great cheese cake flavour. They get sticky fast, so good to keep these in the fridge until they are ready to go.

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Brownies


Pumpkin Pie Brownies: These gave me a bit of trouble, but it all worked out OK. I had used frozen and defrosted pumpkin puree, which had separated out a bit. When I added it to the rest of the pumpkin layer ingredients, it got a bit lumpy. I should have given it a quick blitz with the hand blender to emulsify, but I foolishly did not. The other thing was that there seemed to be a lot of liquid in the pumpkin layer regardless, I googled to see if this was an error but I couldn't find anything. It meant that I couldn't keep the pumpkin pie layer within the borders of the brownie layer, so it didn't look quite as cute as the book. I also had to bake this twice as long, for almost an hour, before it set enough. I was worried that the brownie layer would dry out, but thankfully it did not, and it turned out wonderfully. Pumpkin pie is not something we usually get here in Australia, so this was a fun treat!
Rating: :)

Pumpkin Pie Brownies


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post - Month of Sahara

031


Speaking of pumpkins, Sahara had the best little Pumpkin Belleh around. I loved how she had the paler apricot fur mixed in with the cinnamon fur on her tum tum. And she let me rub it as well!

10 comments:

  1. Awwww, pumpkin belly!!! :-)

    Those choc chip cream cheese bars looks insanely delicious. I've made the blondies, and I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that brownies were a thing growing up, but blondies were new to me once I started vegan cooking. I really like them, and Isa does the best I think.

      Delete
  2. They all look amazing! I need to get my hands on this book!
    Pumpkin belleh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good book to have.
      I loved that pumpkin belleh so much. <3

      Delete
  3. The Pumpkin Belleh! That's the only kind of pumpkin spice I like! :)

    Have you made the whole wheat fig bars from VCIYCJ? Those are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, because I am not a fan or figs. I have wondered about replacing them with something else, but haven't come to a conclusion yet.

      Best pumpkin spice!

      Delete
  4. The chocolate chip cream cheese brownies look incredible! Awww, Sahara's pumpkin belleh; too cute <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so rich and cheesecake-ish and gooey!

      Delete
  5. That is weird about the pumpkin brownies! I freeze my pumpkin all the time and that liquid seperation has never been a problem. Was it home roasted pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just pumpkin out of a can... I want to say Libby's, is that a US brand? I buy it from a US import shop because we don't have canned pumpkin here.

      Delete